I’ve submitted a talk about nbdkit, our flexible pluggable NBD server, to FOSDEM next February. This is going to be about using NBD as a better way to do loop mounts in Linux.
In preparation I gave a very early version of the talk to a small Red Hat audience.
Sorry about the slow start. You may want to skip to 2 mins to get past the intro.
Summary of what’s in the talk:
- Demo of regular, plain loop mounting.
- Demo of loop mounting an XZ-compressed disk image using NBD + nbdkit.
- Slides about how loop device compares to NBD.
- Slides about nbdkit plugins and filters.
- Using VMware VDDK to access a VMDK file.
- Creating a giant disk costing EUR 300 million(!)
- Visualizing a single filesystem.
- Visualizing RAID 5.
- Writing a plugin in shell script (live demo).