$ find /mnt/media -name '*.mp3' -o -name '*.m4a' | wc -l
(and that doesn’t count things like radio programs encoded in mp4 or flv)
I still haven’t found a music player that can deal with this. In particular:
- ID3 tags are often wrong — don’t use them. Use a database like Shazam to work out what’s really in each file.
- There are duplicates. I’m never going to be able to fix that. Transparently pick the highest quality file when playing, and don’t show me duplicates ever.
- Give me an intelligent way to navigate this. I’d like to have the player automatically group them or suggest related music, perhaps by looking for similarities in the audio (and definitely not by using the ID3 tag).
- Related to the previous point, search should be super simple.
- When choosing a party playlist, don’t mix in radio programs or podcasts.
- Some of the titles are not US ASCII. It still seems like this isn’t a completely solved problem (sigh).
It’d be nice if it could stream the music to my squeezebox players (of which I now have two, yay!), but I’m not expecting miracles …
Yay I got my original (non-wireless) SLIMP3 working again …
Update #2: Whichever cock used a download manager, making 10s of simultaneous connections to my site at once, you’ve ruined it for everyone because I’ve now taken these down.
Update: If you can mirror these files, please post a comment with the link.
Frog were a totally brilliant band that I had the pleasure of seeing live several times. Sadly their music has long been unavailable in any format, not even for live gigs.
Anyway, have some old demo tapes here:
Important note: In order to fool the IFPI drones, these are encoded as encrypted ZIP files. You will need to supply a password, which is the name in all lowercase of a famous 80s arcade game involving a small green amphibian trying to cross a major highway. What was that game called?
Frog have a semi-official myspace page here set up by the band’s drummer.
Bonus: Bunty Chunks, a demo tape from another amazing band who should have been great.
A nice collection of links to freely downloadable classical music. I’m listening to the Rach 3 right now!
(Ob-Blog-Note: I put “free”, “mp3″, “download” as tags for this post. I wonder how many scumbag spammers that will attract?)