AMD Zen 2 laptops are a thing, and they’re blazingly fast.
I just bought the HP Envy x360 which has a 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 4500U. Measuring some real world compiles it’s comfortably two and half times faster than my year old Intel-based Thinkpad T480s (which has 4 cores but 8 threads, and cost at least twice as much).
Almost completely free as in freedom laptop on top, with very non-free laptop underneath:
Only a few notes about this, except the obvious which is you must have an old Thinkpad X60s which you’re prepared to risk bricking:
- The instructions for installing libreboot are incredibly strange, contradictory, and out of date.
- I used: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Libreboot/ThinkPad_X60
- I used these old sources which roughly correspond to the above instructions: https://libreboot.org/release/20140711/
- You need to have Debian installed on the laptop.
- To make it completely free, I will need to dismantle the laptop and replace the wifi card.