Category Archives: Uncategorized
My talk was accepted: https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/nbdkit/
If you’re coming to FOSDEM, please come and say hello. In the meantime if you want to watch a rough early run-through of the talk, see: https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2018/11/26/nbdkit-fosdem-test-presentation/
Looks like I’ll need to spend some time “debugging” all my solder joints because although all the chips are in the blinkenlights aren’t lighting up 😔
I don’t know if 74 chips have got smaller since I was a kid or if I’ve just got bigger but this is a test of dexterity.
There’s a reason why although I started out my career in hardware I soon decided to stick to software!
Amazingly nothing blew up when I connected the power.
Here’s a simple block device with virtual size 1M that reads as zeroes:
nbdkit sh - <<'EOF' case "$1" in get_size) echo 1M ;; pread) dd if=/dev/zero count=$3 iflag=count_bytes ;; *) exit 2 ;; esac EOF
I’ve submitted a talk about nbdkit, our flexible pluggable NBD server, to FOSDEM next February. This is going to be about using NBD as a better way to do loop mounts in Linux.
In preparation I gave a very early version of the talk to a small Red Hat audience.
Sorry about the slow start. You may want to skip to 2 mins to get past the intro.
Summary of what’s in the talk:
- Demo of regular, plain loop mounting.
- Demo of loop mounting an XZ-compressed disk image using NBD + nbdkit.
- Slides about how loop device compares to NBD.
- Slides about nbdkit plugins and filters.
- Using VMware VDDK to access a VMDK file.
- Creating a giant disk costing EUR 300 million(!)
- Visualizing a single filesystem.
- Visualizing RAID 5.
- Writing a plugin in shell script (live demo).