I’ve been using whenjobs quite a lot (probably I’m the single most extensive user). Some things I like:
- The ability to list jobs and ‘tail’ the output of jobs as they are running. A big improvement over cron where jobs are effectively opaque and undebuggable.
- Restarting jobs because of temporary failures.
And some things I don’t like:
- You can’t set multiple variables atomically.
- It’s hard to predict the effect of setting a variable, ie. which jobs will run after you execute a particular
- It probably would be better if whenjobs could work across mulitple hosts, with each host having a shared view of the current variable state.
(The first two of these are fairly simple to fix)