There’s so much new and improved in libguestfs 1.6 that I guess you should just read the release notes after the cut …
Release notes for libguestfs 1.6.0
These release notes only cover the differences from the previous stable/dev branch split (1.4.0). For detailed changelogs, please see the git repository, or the ChangeLog file distributed in the tarball.
– Use a new method for creating and caching the appliance. This greatly improves the performance of libguestfs, often by a factor of x 4 to x 5.
– Support for guest inspection (like virt-inspector) via the ordinary API and all language bindings. ‘guestfish -i’ option is as a side-effect much quicker.
– virt-inspector and core inspection API can now detect guests running: Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Windows, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Gentoo, Pardus, Arch Linux, MeeGo.
– Support for LUKS whole-disk encryption in guests.
– PHP bindings.
– Progress messages (and progress bars in guestfish and virt-resize) for certain long-running operations.
– virt-df is now much more efficient. Use ‘–one-per-guest’ to restore the old per-guest isolation behaviour.
– guestfish ‘copy-in’ and ‘copy-out’ commands for copying files and directories recursively in and out of the guest.
– guestfish ‘hexedit’ command for doing binary edits to devices and files.
– Change guestfish -i syntax to allow commands to be specified on the command line (retaining backwards compatibility).
– guestfish ‘-d ‘ for adding disks from libvirt domains.
– guestfish ‘-N’ option supports several new prepared disk image types:
lvfs : disk with LV formatted with filesystem
lv : disk with LV
bootroot : boot+root
bootrootlv : boot and root on LV
– guestfish ‘more’ and ‘edit’ commands now work with arbitrary files.
– guestfish ‘–echo-keys’ option allows you to echo keys/passphrases while typing them.
– guestmount now supports -a / -d / -i options, like guestfish.
– Use virtio-serial for communications with the appliance. This also has a major performance benefit.
– virt-edit ‘-b’ option to create a backup of edited files.
– virt-edit ‘-e’ option for non-interactive edits to files.
– Ability to capture core dumps from the appliance (thanks Matthew Booth).
– virt-rescue now shuts down cleanly (thanks Matthew Booth).
– virt-rescue now has a –network option to enable network access.
– virt-resize can now handle guests which use GPT partition table format.
– virt-resize has better support for shrinking guests.
– virt-resize supports qcow2-format guests.
– $TMPDIR can be used to override almost all temporary directory usage.
– OCaml users can use an alternate OO-style of coding, eg. g#launch ()
– The API supports calls which take optional parameters, eg.
$g->add_drive_opts (“disk”, readonly => 1);
– Trace output now escapes and shortens large strings (thanks Matthew Booth).
– Autosync is now on by default, resulting in more reliable behaviour when the handle is closed.
– virt-df –uuid option allows you to follow a domain across migration and renaming.
– Translations of manual pages.
– CVE-2010-3851 libguestfs: missing disk format specifier when adding a disk
This is comprehensively fixed in this release, and the fix will be backported to the other stable branches after more testing.
– virt-inspector no longer relies on untrusted guest code to list applications in some guests.
download-offset, file-architecture, findfs-label, findfs-uuid,
inspect-os, inspect-get-arch, inspect-get-distro,
inspect-get-product-name, inspect-get-type, is-blockdev, is-chardev,
is-fifo, is-lv, is-socket, is-symlink, list-filesystems, luks-add-key,
luks-close, luks-format, luks-format-cipher, luks-kill-slot,
luks-open, luks-open-ro, lvm-clear-filter, lvm-canonical-lv-name,
lvm-set-filter, part-to-dev, pread-device, pwrite-device,
– Use size_t for loop iterators.
– Refactor the library code into separate files.
– Refactor the generator code into separate files.
– Generate guestfish commands.
– guestfish & guestmount options processing is unified.
– Protocol changes:
error message size increased to 64K
send errno to library
– Add ‘make bindist’ to make a binary distribution.
– Cleaner behaviour under valgrind.
– More testing of the guestfish command line options and libvirt integration.
– The Perl inspection code is no longer used by any of the tools.
– 646822 libguestfs trace mode should not print long binary strings
– 646821 virt-df should have –uuid option
– 646432 /dev/mapper paths should not be returned from guestfs_mountpoints
– 643624 libguestfs tools documentation should describe how to quote guest domain names from shell
– 642934 No way to specify disk format when adding a disk to libguestfs
– 642933 guestfs_list_filesystems should be used in all possible places
– 642932 guestmount options should match guestfish options
– 642930 virt-inspector (Sys::Guestfs::Lib) should use C inspection APIs
– 642929 C inspection code should ignore /dev/fd* in /etc/fstab
– 642826 virt-resize converts any other image format to raw without notifying user, instructions do not account for this
– 640961 Document that grub-install might be needed for old Linux guests after virt-resize
– 639986 virt-df –csv does not properly quote ” in libvirt domain names
– 639405 Interrupted cached appliance creation leaves libguestfs unusable
– 638901 Appliance filename should not contain repository name
– 638899 /dev/mapper paths should not be returned from C inspection APIs
– 636918 Updates to Spanish translation
– 636061 [abrt] guestfish-1.2.11-1.fc12: malloc_consolidate: Process /usr/bin/guestfish was killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)
– 635969 glob echo mkfs ext2 /dev/vd[b-t]1 prints garbage
– 634246 guestfs_part_get_parttype returns “loop” when run against a partition, LV or filesystem
– 633766 virt-resize –shrink fails
– 633357 Updates to Spanish translation
– 633096 virt-resize calculates block device size incorrectly, doesn’t work with qcow2 target
– 629593 Dutch translation added
– 627556 Updates to Spanish translations of libguestfs
– 626843 Updates to Spanish translations
– 619793 [RFE] Need a way to determine if a particular block device is a logical volume
– 618556 virt-rescue return none zero value when exit
– 617200 mount operation failed and hung on some images which running in read-only mode
– 610880 libguestfs should set broader read perms on tmpdir, so works in some situations when executed with umask 077
– 599503 document that mkmountpoint and umount-all cannot be mixed
– 571714 Running virt-df on disk image relabels it, so qemu can no longer write to it.
– 502533 Updated Polish translation of libguestfs