Update: Fedora 13 users can try this package. Please up vote if it works for you.
The very extensive release notes for this version are attached below.
Release notes for libguestfs 1.4.0
These release notes only cover the differences from the previous
stable/dev branch split (1.2.0). For detailed changelogs, please see
the git repository, or the ChangeLog file distributed in the tarball.
– guestfish lets you choose a prepared disk image, eg:
guestfish -N fs:ext4
– Add write support to guestmount (FUSE) module.
– virt-resize can now resize the content of partitions and logical
volumes in the guest, and we have better support for shrinking guests.
– Bash tab-completion script for guestfish.
– Add ZFS support to virt-rescue.
– New tool ‘virt-make-fs’ for creating filesystems with content.
– Allow suffixes on any guestfish number parameter, eg. “1M”.
– guestfish ‘man’ command opens the manual page.
– guestfish supports a “heredoc” syntax for uploading files:
upload -<<_end_ /foo
– Some guestfish commands now print their output in octal or hex
where appropriate (RHBZ#583242).
– Allow dash prefix on guestfish command line. This ignores any
error from the second command: (RHBZ#578407)
guestfish — cmd1 : -cmd2 : cmd3
– guestfish -h / help command now returns an error for non-existent
– New 'supported' command in guestfish to list optional groups of
commands which are supported by the daemon / configuration.
– virt-inspector and guestfish -i now work for filenames which
contain spaces (RHBZ#507810).
– Change the protocol to use link-local addresses, to avoid
conflicting with any address that the host might be using
– libguestfs now sets the correct time and timezone on filesystem
– Sort the domains into alphabetical order in virt-df.
– Make mkfs-b command work for FAT and NTFS by mapping the blocksize
parameter to the cluster size (RHBZ#599464).
– Add version numbers to Perl modules (RHBZ#521674).
– Localization now works for all the libguestfs tools (RHBZ#559963).
– Tools now support filesystem-on-image VMs (RHBZ#590167).
– virt-list-partitions has a '-t' option to show the total size of disks.
– Include extra Augeas lenses in the supermin appliance (Matthew Booth).
– Add error and close callbacks.
– Add explicit close method in the Perl API.
– Multiple fixes for RHEL 5 compatibility.
– Multiple fixes for Debian/Ubuntu compatibility.
– Multiple revisions to improve the documentation.
– Fix a potential DoS in virt-inspector and virt-v2v if a specially
crafted disk image contained a char device in place of one of the
configuration files that we read under /etc (RHBZ#582484).
– aug-clear – clear Augeas path
– available-all-groups – return a list of all optional groups
– base64-in – upload base64-encoded data to file
– base64-out – download file and encode as base64
– checksum-device – compute checksums on the contents of a device
– checksums-out – compute checksums of multiple files in a directory
– debug-upload – upload a file to the appliance
– fallocate64 – preallocate a file in the guest filesystem
– fill-pattern – fill a file with a repeating pattern of bytes
– get-umask – get the current umask
– lvresize-free – expand an LV to fill free space
– ntfsresize – resize an NTFS filesystem
– ntfsresize-size – resize an NTFS filesystem (with size)
– part-del – delete a partition
– part-get-bootable – get the bootable flag of a partition
– part-get-mbr-id – get the MBR type byte of a partition
– part-set-mbr-id – set the MBR type byte of a partition
– pvresize-size – resize a physical volume (with size)
– pwrite – write to part of a file
– resize2fs-size – resize an ext2/3/4 filesystem (with size)
– txz-in – unpack compressed tarball to directory (RHBZ#580556)
– txz-out – pack directory into compressed tarball (RHBZ#580556)
– vfs-label – get the filesystem label
– vfs-uuid – get the filesystem UUID
– vgscan – rescan for LVM physical volumes, volume groups and logical volumes
– write – create a new file
– zero-device – write zeroes to an entire device
– Extend the generator to support testing optional features.
– Stricter checks on input parameters to many calls (RHBZ#501893 RHBZ#501894)
– Extend the protocol to support sending arbitrary 8 bit data buffers.
– Ship 'BUGS' file with releases. This is a summary of the bugs in
the Red Hat Bugzilla database.
– Ship 'RELEASE-NOTES' file with releases, containing release notes.
– Unify supermin appliance building into one place, in febootstrap 2.7.
– Fix the protocol code to handle the case where both ends send cancel
messages at the same time.
– 612178 guestfish: using -m option in conjunction with –listen option causes appliance to die
– 610880 libguestfs should set broader read perms on tmpdir, so works in some situations when executed with umask 077
– 604691 OCaml bindings are not thread safe
– 603870 Updates to Spanish translation
– 602592 [RFE] expose guestfs_close in perl bindings
– 600977 virt-df -h –csv "Argument .. isn't numeric in printf"
– 599464 mkfs-b does not support vfat/ntfs
– 598807 add_cdrom does not work in RHEL 6
– 598309 part-list and several other cmd failed on libguestfs on RHEL5
– 597145 guestfish 'help' command should indicate error in exit status with an unknown command
– 597135 guestfish write-file cmd does not check "size" parameter
– 597118 A warning should be given in the help of mke2journal-L for the length of label
– 597112 get-e2uuid should use blkid instead of "tune2fs -l" to get filesystem UUID
– 596776 virt-inspector doesn't discover modprobe aliases on RHEL 3 guests
– 596763 Updates to Spanish translation
– 593292 Updates to Spanish translation
– 592883 can not edit files on images mounted with guestmount cmd
– 592360 Updates to Spanish translation
– 591250 virt-tar prints "tar_in: tar subcommand failed on directory" if the archive is compressed or not in the right format
– 591155 virt-tar prints "tar_in: tar subcommand failed on directory" if a disk image is not writable
– 591142 virt-inspector should give an error for unrecognized disk images
– 590167 virt-inspector and other virt tools should be able to handle filesystem-on-image VMs
– 589039 guestfish read-file cmd will cause daemon hang when read large files
– 588851 guestfs_launch() returns -1, but guestfs_last_error() == NULL
– 588763 libguestfs should use non-public or link-local addresses for appliance network
– 588733 Updates to Spanish translation
– 588651 guestfish 'strings-e' cmd does not give proper error message or hint
– 587484 lvresize can't reduce size of a volumn
– 585961 Updates to Spanish translation
– 585223 ntfsresize should support shrinking filesystems
– 585222 pvresize should support shrinking PVs
– 585221 resize2fs should support shrinking filesystems
– 584038 Updates to Spanish translation
– 583554 [FEAT] mknod-mode command is needed to set mode explicitly
– 583242 [RFE] guestfish should print outputs in a suitable base (eg. octal for modes)
– 582993 guestfish eats words when tab completing case (in)sensitive paths
– 582953 Misleading help information about lvcreate command
– 582948 mknod command doesn't make block, character or FIFO devices
– 582929 mknod doesn't check for invalid mode
– 582901 guestfish chmod/umask commands do not check invalid mode value
– 582899 guestfish:sparse is missed from command autocomplete list
– 582891 [Feature Request] behavior and return value of guestfish umask cmd should be changed
– 582548 [mknod] umask shouldn't take effect when mode is set explicitly
– 582484 some guestfish sub commands can not handle special files properly
– 582252 Updates to Spanish translation
– 581501 Updates to Spanish translation
– 580650 virt-inspector warns "No grub default specified at /usr/lib/perl5/Sys/Guestfs/Lib.pm at […]"
– 580556 request for libguestfs to support .txz tarballs
– 580246 tar-in command hangs if uploading more than available space
– 580016 aug-ls in guestfish does not take augeas variable as argument
– 579664 guestfish doesn't report error when there is not enough space for image allocation
– 579608 multiple commands in guestfish can not work for symbol links
– 579155 libguestfs hangs if qemu doesn't start (in null vmchannel mode)
– 578407 the prefix '-' in sub-command isn't handled by guestfish in remote control mode
– 576879 libguestfs protocol loses synchronization if you 'upload' before mounting disks
– 559963 libguestfs Perl programs do set locale, but still localization doesn't work
– 521674 Perl modules are unversioned, but should carry version numbers
– 516096 Race condition in test_swapon_label_0: /sbin/blockdev: BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy
– 507810 guestfish -i / virt-inspector cannot handle spaces in filenames
– 502533 Updated Polish translation of libguestfs
– 501894 Some String parameters should be OptString
– 501893 String parameters should be checked for != NULL
– 501889 write-file does not support strings containing ASCII NUL
– 484986 grub-install fails on virtio disk
Release notes for previous versions of libguestfs
2009-11-10 : 1.0.78
2009-09-13 : 1.0.67
2009-07-23 : 1.0.64
2009-07-14 : 1.0.59